Thursday, September 23, 2010

Crispy Pata

My friends loves me for this particular dish. Whenever I prepare this, them hounds will come for a night of drinking spree but sadly, the Crispy Pata will only last for a minute. Good that I made 3 of them. I don't know the exact origin of this sumptuous dish but I think Barrio Fiesta is credited for inventing it. My friends always makes fun at me when I gnaw the meat out the bones. I like it really crispy and tender. One way of achieving this consistency is to splash ice-cold water into the oil while you're deep-frying it. Another is to freeze it over night after tenderizing the knuckles by boiling it. I always wanted perfection when preparing this and I achieved that by using the methods below.

Crispy Pata
What you'll need:
1 whole pig knuckles(front part), cleaned and scored
1 liter clear soda
2 cups pineapple juice
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 liter water
1 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, whole
oil for deep-frying

How to:
1. Combine all ingredients except for the oil in a large stock pot.
2. Boil for 3-5 hours or until the knuckles is tender.
3. Remove from heat and drain.
4. Rub with salt and pepper.
5. Freeze at least overnight.
6. Deep-fry in oil until golden in color. Remember to splash a few tablespoons of ice-cold water occasionally but be careful while doing so.
7. Drain the knuckles to remove excess oil and serve with your favorite dip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment