Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bulalong Obando

I really love a hot, steamy soup the morning after a night of drinking spree. I don't like noodle soups or anything artificially made. I like meat, period. Meat with soup and veggies is even better. I decided to call this one Bulalong Obando just for the reason that my dad is from Obando, Bulacan and he's the one who taught me to drink hard therefore I think I owe him this much because of the many hangovers I had.  As you may noticed, I don't use MSG in any of my recipes because of the "side effects". Sugar is next best thing to add umami to a dish but can't use that here. Instead I use patis because of it's natural umami taste. Try this, it's good for a hangover.

Bulalong Obando


What you'll need:
3-4 pieces beef shank
1/2 head cabbage, cut into wedges
3 pcs japanese sweet corn, cut into 2" portions
2 bundles pechay
2 cups string beans (baguio beans)
3 med potatoes, quartered
2 med onions, cut into wedges
1 pc bayleaf
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 1/2 liters water
patis

How to:
1. Braise beef shank in water with onions and peppercorns until tender.
2. Add potatoes, corn and bayleaf.
3. Season with patis according to taste.
4. Add the rest of the vegetables and simmer for 1 minute.
5. Best served with rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment