Friday, September 24, 2010

Bistek Tagalog

When it comes to Bistek, I like mine oozing with sabaw. Top rice with it and you're good to go. But what I'm going to share with you is the best recipe I know. My preference when it comes to the meat is the sirloin. Not just for the texture but also for the taste. Some people can't distinguish what part is what. Another thing is my choice of onions. Some use the white ones and others uses the red ones. I use both and I don't like it over-done.
The choice of soy sauce, however, is also vital to the outcome of the dish. I also combine both Chinese and Japanese variants to produce more flavor. Try this one out and see if you'll like it.

Bistek Tagalog
What you'll need:
1/2 kilo beef sirloin, cut into tapa style
1 large white onion, cut into rings
1 large red onion, cut into rings
1/4 cup Chinese soy sauce
1/4 cup Kikoman soy sauce
1/4 cup calamansi juice
1/2 cup all-purpose cream*
cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste

*optional. You can omit this without sacrificing the taste.


How to:
1. Marinate beef in soy sauce and calamansi juice mixture for at least overnight to ensure locking of the flavors.
2. Heat pan and stir-fry onions. Take-out from the pan and set aside.
3. Fry beef in the same pan until it browns.
4. Add the remaining marinade and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced. *Add the cream and stir until well mixed.
5. Season with salt and pepper. You can also adjust the taste by adding sugar.
6. Remove from heat and top with the sautéed onions and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment