Sunday, October 10, 2010

Elsie's Congee

I want to name this dish for my friend who ask me to make a series of vegetarian recipes. At first, I really don't know how to make a congee with no meat whatsoever. You know us Filipinos, we love our lugaw with everything and anything. I don't know what to use to make this dish tasty without any source of meat flavor. Finally, my good friend Chef Antonio suggested that I use vegetable stock for the base and mushrooms as meat substitutes. I got to be honest with you. At first, I don't think this will taste good at all but I'm wrong. IT'S PERFECT! Top with some roasted peanuts and it becomes heavenly. I love this recipe so much that I'm thinking to become a vegetarian myself. Special thanks again to Chef Antonio Madriaga for the knowledge.

Elsie's Congee
What you'll need:
  • 1 cup short grain rice, washed
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 4-5 cups water
  • 5-6 pcs shitake mushrooms, softened in hot water and sliced
  • 1 3" ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 med head broccoli, cut into small florets 
  • 1 tbsp scallions, finely sliced
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed or chopped
  • salt to taste
  • 1 egg (optional)
How to:
  1. Place rice in a pot with vegetable stock and ginger. Boil over high heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add water when necessary and stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  2. Add the mushrooms and carrots. Season with salt according to taste. Simmer for 3 more minutes.
  3. Lastly add the broccoli when the congee is almost done. If you want to use an egg, add in the egg and stir with a fork until it breaks.
  4. Remove from heat and serve with chopped peanuts on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment